power cuts

One night, I got back to the hotel at 1am. As I finally got round to turning on my laptop to read my emails, the light suddenly went out. I mean, completely out. The only light in my room was the light from the screen of my little super-mini laptop. Damn! I looked out the window to the streets. It was pitched black. Even the street lamps were out.

I’ve always disliked darkness. I started to worry that the electricity of my laptop will soon be exhausted. Is there a torch somewhere? Why didn’t I bring that, or a candle with me? I should have expected power cuts in this city. It happens all the time.

While blaming myself, I started to think: Why the hell did no one inform me beforehand? But of course, no one knew beforehand. I tried to call the reception, to borrow a torch or a candle. But of course, the phone line’s dead, too. I started to panic.

There was nothing to panic about, rationally thinking. All I had to do was go to sleep and forget about it. When I wake up, it will be another morning of bright blue sky! Everything will be back to normal tomorrow! But all alone in the complete darkness, I couldn’t think straight. I couldn’t close my eyes. This was the first and only time I actually felt alone in Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment